Grants & Programs
Negative health outcomes for LGBTQ+ people are a result of the cumulative and intersecting impact of many different factors, including a lack of cultural competence among healthcare providers. Established by Jeffrey Grove, DO, this educational scholarship is awarded annually to recognize an Osteopathic medical student (OMS II or above) committed to a course of study to better understand and address the unique healthcare needs of the LGBTQ+ community and how such needs can be addressed through Osteopathic medicine.
Dr. Grove is the founder and inspiration behind numerous LGBTQ+ expansion initiatives across the country, including the AOF’s recently launched LGBTQ+ Health Equity & Inclusion Fund, which aims to better understand and address the healthcare needs of the LGBTQ+ community through educational scholarships, CME training, and diversity-enriching programs. Pride Scholars recognize LGBTQ+ identity, affirm equal rights for all, and celebrate the dignity and diversity of everyone in the LGBTQ+ and other marginalized communities
- Current OMS II+ in good standing at a COCA-Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and access to quality healthcare for all minority groups, including LGBTQ+ patients
- Participation in extracurricular activities that promote Osteopathic medicine and LGBTQ+ health equity
- Volunteer activity/leadership in LGBTQ+ organizations and/or other marginalized communities
- Must be a current SOMA member to apply