AOF/AOA’s Presidential Memorial Leadership Award honors and recognizes osteopathic medical students who are committed to the principles of osteopathic medicine and who have taken great strides toward becoming top student leaders. These individuals have been instrumental in motivating people and take conscious, well-calculated steps to develop themselves and their followers.
Students are the leaders of the future. Top leaders motivate and move people and organizations from where they are to where they need to be.
Any osteopathic medical student in good standing at a COCA-Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine who is a rising OMS II, OMS III or OMS IV in the fall of 2020. Nominees must also meet the following criteria:
- Proof of current membership in the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA)
- Demonstrated commitment to the osteopathic profession
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated use of these skills
- Noteworthy accomplishments, awards and honors, special projects and extracurricular activities that demonstrate the nominee’s ability to be a leader
- Completed online nomination – self-nominations are NOT accepted
- A personal statement from the nominee
- Three (3) Letters of recommendation (one from the nominator, one highlighting academic achievement and one highlighting contributions to the osteopathic profession)
- Nominee’s current curriculum vitae or resume (include all current memberships, osteopathic or other)
- An official medical school academic transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- A letter from the Dean or his/her designee as an official document:
1) certifying that the nominee is in good academic standing
2) confirming the student’s class ranking/GPA or that they are in the top quartile of their class
3) professional endorsement the student should be considered for the Presidential Leadership Award based on their visible leadership within their student class or school.
- Proof of current SOMA membership
The recipient will be recognized at the AOF’s Honors event, which due to COVID-19 will be a virtual celebration this year. In addition, the winner will be recognized in various AOF publications, on the website, and through social media outlets.