The AOF Prairie State Scholarship was established in 2015 to provide financial assistance to an osteopathic medical student who graduated from an Illinois high school to help defer the cost of education.
An annual scholarship award in the amount of $4,000 will be presented to one (1) individual who exemplifies the ideals of the osteopathic profession, shall be an exemplary student and shall serve as an ambassador for the profession while completing their osteopathic education.
An osteopathic medical student who graduated from an Illinois high school that is in good standing and/or in the top quartile of their class currently enrolled at a COCA-Accredited College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) who is a rising OMS II, OMS III, or OMS IV during the fall of 2020. Applicant must also demonstrate the following:
- Must be a member of the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA)
- Has significantly dedicated time to volunteer work in their community
- Demonstrated commitment to their osteopathic education and the profession
- Participates in extracurricular activities that promote osteopathic medicine to the public
- A completed online form - self-nominations are accepted
- A personal statement (must address eligibility criteria specific to the award)
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume (include all current memberships, osteopathic or other)
- Official confirmation of graduation from Illinois High School
- Official medical school academic transcript (may be mailed separately)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one must be from a DO)
- Letter from the Dean or his/her designee as an official document certifying that the applicant is in good academic standing and confirm the student's class ranking/academic standing or that they are in the top quartile of their class.
The annual scholarship winner will be recognized in various AOF publications, on the website and through social media outlets.
Applications closed September 30, 2020. The AOF’s Review Committee will meet in October to review nominations. Selected students and their SOM/COM will be notified in November.