The Karen J. Nichols, DO LEAD Scholar will be presented to an osteopathic medical student whose Leadership, Excellence, Achievement, and Dedication are proven in the classroom and community.
This award supports, honors, and encourages osteopathic medical students who show promise and exhibit the foundational leadership skills that will serve them and their communities now and in the future.
Effective leaders start as student leaders and as they continue to learn and grow, they too will make a difference and pay it forward.
Must be an OMS III or OMS IV enrolled at a COCA- Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine during the fall of 2021. Applicant must also demonstrate the following:
- Dedication to community and the osteopathic profession
- Demonstrated leadership and its impact within the classroom and community
- Noteworthy achievements, awards, and honors, special projects and extracurricular activities
- Excellence within multiple disciplines: personal, academic and professional
- A completed online application – self-nominations are accepted
- A Personal statement
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume (should include memberships, osteopathic or other)
- Official medical school academic transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation/support
- Letter from the Dean or his/her designee as an official document certifying that the applicant is in good academic standing and confirm the student's class ranking/academic standing or that they are in the top quartile of their class.
The official announcement of the Karen J. Nicols, DO, LEAD Scholar will be made at the 2021 AOF Honors event.
The winner will also be recognized in various AOF publications, on the website, and through social media outlets.