Named in honor of Sterling Welch, DO, for his outstanding generosity to the AOF and his desire to support osteopathic medical students and promote education, this grant was established to provide monetary aid to osteopathic medical students. One student from each College/School of Osteopathic Medicine (COM/SOM) and branch campus is eligible to receive a $1,250 grant.
The recipients will receive monetary support to help defer costs during the student's education and are chosen because of their outstanding academic achievement, participation in extracurricular activities, strong commitment toward osteopathic medicine and financial need.
Must be an OMS II or OMS III enrolled at a COCA-Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine (COM/SOM) during the fall of 2020. Osteopathic medical students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be in good academic standing and display outstanding academic achievements
- Demonstrated financial need while completing his or her osteopathic medical education
- Demonstrated commitment to osteopathic medicine and the profession
- Participation in school/community activities outside of college requirements; may include participation in professionally related organizations/activities while in osteopathic medical school
- A completed nomination form by COM representative (self-nominations not accepted)
- A personal statement to include statement of financial need
- A letter from the Dean or his/her designee as an official document certifying that the applicant is in good academic standing and confirming the students class ranking/academic standing or that they are in the top quartile of their class
- Letter from the Director of Financial Aid verifying why the recipient was selected
- One (1) letter of recommendation/support from one reference
- Medical school academic transcript
Information about the recipient and the award ceremony may be published on the AOF’s website, publications, annual reports, press releases and/or other news vehicles.
No longer accepting applications.
Applications close November 15, 2020. The AOF’s Review Committee will meet in to review nominations. Selected students and their SOM/COM will be notified by December.
Previous AOF Golden Ticket award winners are ineligible to receive this scholarship.