This annual scholarship recognizes exceptional osteopathic medical students who carry a disproportionate financial burden of student loans. The Golden Ticket Scholarship recognizes those who despite financial obstacles have achieved academic excellence, displayed leadership, made a commitment to community outreach and embody the osteopathic tenants and philosophy.
Monetary scholarship awards will be presented to three individuals each year, who despite their financial obstacles have achieved academic excellence, displayed leadership, committed to community outreach, and embody the osteopathic tenants and philosophy. Two students will be recognized as finalists and awarded a $5,000 educational scholarship. One student will be chosen as the Golden Ticket Winner and awarded $20,000.
Congratulations to the recently named 2021 AOF Golden Ticket Scholarship Finalists! We look forward to celebrating these individuals and announcing the Golden Ticket Winner at our Honors Gala on October 22, 2021.
- Nathan D. Holt, III, OMS III - A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
- Michael W. Kortz, MBA, OMS IV - College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kansas City University
- Carolyn Sayers, OMS IV - Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-Virginia
Must be an OMS II, OMS III or OMS IV enrolled at a COCA-Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine (COM/SOM) during the fall of 2021. Applicant must also meet the following criteria:
- Significant financial need affecting completion of education
- In the top 25% of their class (outstanding academic achievement while in medical school)
- Demonstrated participation in school/community activities outside of any college requirements; may include leadership in professionally related organizations/activities while in osteopathic medical school
- An online nomination form completed by the Dean or his/her designee (one nominee per COM/SOM annually) – self-nominations NOT accepted
- A letter from the Director of Financial Aid verifying that the student qualified for financial aid
- Three (3) letters of recommendation/support (One from the Dean or Dean’s designee highlighting academic achievement, one highlighting contributions to the osteopathic profession and one highlighting community service)
- A personal statement from the nominee explaining why financial need is affecting the student’s ability to complete his/her education (no longer than one page single-spaced)
- Optional: Additional materials that demonstrate the student’s leadership in school/community activities outside of college requirements is highly encouraged, but not required.
- The letter from the Dean or his/her designee must certify that the applicant is in good academic standing and must confirm the student’s class ranking/academic standing or that they are in the top quartile of their class.
- Three students will be honored annually: Two students will be recognized as finalists and awarded a $5,000 educational scholarship. One student will be chosen as the Golden Ticket Winner and awarded $20,000.
- The winners will be recognized in various AOF publications, on the website, and through social media outlets.