NEW in 2019, the AOF will accept nominations to honor and recognize one (1) osteopathic physician who is an active service member (may or may not be deployed) in the United States military as a practicing physician. The Distinguished Military Service Award was established to honor outstanding osteopathic physicians who have made significant contributions to the practice of military medicine and who have served as exemplary role models for other physicians.
Nominee Eligibility Criteria:
- Practicing DO physician
- Nominee status: Active* duty and/or currently deployed
- Air Force
- Marine Corp
- Coast Guard
- Actively involved in any discipline of osteopathic medicine
- Award is based upon 4 areas
- Major Achievements in the nominee’s primary medical field
- Contributions to enhancing the role of osteopathic medicine in the military
- Leadership Ability, including recognition as an exceptional leader, teacher, clinician, or mentor
- Active membership and/or involvement with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
Nominee Required Documents:
- Completed Online Nomination Form - self-nominations are not accepted
- Current CV or Resume
- High Resolution Headshot / Photo in uniform (must be 300dpi or higher in jpeg format)
- 60-90 second video (to be uploaded via Dropbox) highlighting at least two (2) of the below components:
- Does the nominee go above and beyond what is expected, and stands above his/her peers?
- Is the nominee recognized going above and beyond as an osteopathic physician?
- Does the nominee display qualities of a leader that are demonstrated through service to the profession and/or to the military?
- Does the nominee promote the philosophy of osteopathic in military medicine?
- Has the nominee made significant contributions to the profession and/or has received accolades for his/her professional accomplishments?
- Nominator's Recommendation Letter (1) – must be from an active military member; may not be family
- One (1) Additional Letter of Recommendation from a current fellow serviceman/woman or commanding officer
- Confirmation of Community Service (examples may be included in a recommendation letter; newspaper clippings encouraged)