The Distinguished Military Service Recognition Award was established in 2019 to honor outstanding osteopathic physicians who have made significant contributions to the practice of military medicine, for at least 10 years, and who have served as exemplary role models for other physicians. The AOF is delighted to accept nominations to honor and recognize one (1) osteopathic physician who is an active service member (may or may not be deployed) in the United States military as a practicing physician.
- Practicing military DO physician
- Nominee status: Active duty and/or currently deployed
- Air Force
- Marine Corps
- Coast Guard
- Actively involved in any discipline of osteopathic medicine
- Award is based upon four areas
- Major Achievements in the nominee’s primary medical field
- Contributions to enhancing the role of osteopathic medicine in the military
- Leadership Ability, including recognition as an exceptional leader, teacher, clinician, or mentor
- Active membership and/or involvement with the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Completed Online Nomination Form - Self-Nominations Not Accepted
- Current CV or Resume
- Nominator's Recommendation Letter (1) – must be from an active military member; may not be family highlighting at least two (2) of the below components:
- Does the nominee go above and beyond what is expected, and stands above his/her peers?
- Is the nominee recognized as an “osteopathic leader” among peers?
- Does the nominee display qualities of a leader that is demonstrated through service to the profession and/or to the military?
- Does the nominee promote the philosophy of osteopathic in military medicine?
- Has the nominee made significant contributions to the profession and/or has received accolades for his/her professional accomplishments?
- One (1) Additional Letter of Recommendation from a current fellow serviceman/woman or commanding officer
- Confirmation of Community Service (examples may be included in a recommendation letter; newspaper clippings encouraged)
The recipient will be recognized at the AOF’s Honors event, which due to COVID-19 will be a virtual celebration this year. In addition, the winner will be recognized in various AOF publications, on the website, and through social media outlets.
 The term “active” means the award may not be given posthumously.