The AOF is delighted to accept nominations to honor and recognize one (1) osteopathic physician who is an active service member (may or may not be deployed) in the United States military as a practicing physician. The Distinguished Military Service Recognition Award was established in 2019 to honor outstanding osteopathic physicians who have made significant contributions to the practice of military medicine, for at least 10 years, and who have served as exemplary role models for other physicians.
The Foundation is pleased to announce our migration to Survey Monkey Apply for all application and nomination processes. Please take a look at the User Guide to get started.
Helpful hints for nominations:
- All users are required to register with SurveyMonkey Apply.
- All users will complete an Eligibility screening consisting of an account user profile and award selection.
- Please nominate your candidate as an individual account user.
- Following the Eligibility screening if your screen does not automatically advance to the next section, application/nomination form, then return to your account dashboard and refresh the "My Applications" page.
- All required documents must be uploaded directly by the Nominator.
- Practicing military DO physician with at least 10 years experience.
- Nominee status: Active duty and/or currently deployed
- Air Force
- Marine Corps
- Coast Guard
- Actively involved in any discipline of osteopathic medicine
- Award is based upon three areas
- Major Achievements in the nominee’s primary medical field
- Contributions to enhancing the role of osteopathic medicine in the military
- Leadership Ability, including recognition as an exceptional leader, teacher, clinician, or mentor
- Completed Online Nomination Form - Self-Nominations Not Accepted
- Current CV or Resume
- Nominator's Recommendation Letter (1) – must be from an active military member; may not be family. The letter should highlight at least two (2) of the below components:
- Does the nominee go above and beyond what is expected, and stand above his/her/their peers?
- Is the nominee recognized as an “osteopathic leader” among peers?
- Does the nominee display qualities of a leader that is demonstrated through service to the profession and/or to the military?
- Does the nominee promote the philosophy of osteopathy in military medicine?
- Has the nominee made significant contributions to the profession and/or has received accolades for his/her/their professional accomplishments?
- One (1) Additional Letter of Recommendation from a current fellow serviceman/woman or commanding officer
- Confirmation of Community Service (examples may be included in a recommendation letter; newspaper clippings acknowledging are encouraged)
The Distinguished Military Service Award will be presented in conjunction with the Annual AOF Honors Gala, the osteopathic profession’s largest and most prestigious industry recognition event. This year’s Honors Gala will be held in person and virtually on Friday, October 22, 2021.
In addition, recognition will include a professional video featuring the award recipient which will be premiered at the Honors Gala, print media, the AOF website, and social media announcements.
 The term “active” means the award may not be given posthumously.