The AOF Edward & Joanne Loniewski Merit Scholarship was established by Edward A. Loniewski, DO to support an annual scholarship for 3rd and 4th year students enrolled at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. AOF’s Edward & Joanne Loniewski Merit Scholarship Award will be given annually to recognize an osteopathic medical student in academic good standing with demonstrated leadership and financial need.
An scholarship annual award in the amount of $3,000 will be presented to one (1) individual each year, who has noteworthy academic achievement, has demonstrated leadership efforts within the classroom and community and an expressed financial need.
An osteopathic medical student in good standing and/or in the top quartile of their class currently enrolled at Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine who is a rising OMS III or IV during the fall of 2020. Applicant must also demonstrate the following:
- Must have demonstrated leadership within the classroom and community
- Must have an unmet financial need while completing his/her osteopathic medical education
- Completed online application form – self nominations accepted
- Personal statement (must address eligibility criteria specific to the award)
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume (include all current memberships, osteopathic or other)
- Medical school academic transcript from MSU-COM (may be mailed separately)
- One (1) letter of recommendation/support
- Letter from the Dean or his/her designee as an official document certifying that the applicant is in good academic standing and confirm the student's class ranking/academic standing or that they are in the top quartile of their class.
- A letter from the Director of Financial Aid to confirm if awarded, this scholarship will not render the student illegible for other grants/scholarships opportunities within the school.
The annual scholarship winner will be recognized in various AOF publications, on the website and through social media outlets.
Applications close September 30, 2020. The AOF’s Review Committee will meet in October to review nominations. Selected students and their SOM/COM will be notified in November.