Students are the leaders of the future. Top leaders motivate and move people and organizations from where they are to where they need to be.
The AOA Presidential Memorial Leadership Award honors and recognizes an osteopathic medical student who is committed to the principles of osteopathic medicine and who has made great strides toward becoming one of the top student leaders. This individual has been instrumental in motivating people and takes conscious, well calculated steps to develop themselves and their followers.
The recipient of this $7,500 award must be a current member of the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) who has successfully completed his/her first-year of studies in an osteopathic medical school prior to the fall of 2016.
- Any osteopathic medical student in good standing at a COCA Accredited College/School of Osteopathic Medicine who is a rising OMS II, III, IV in the fall of 2017
- A current member of the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA)
Nominees shall meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated commitment to the osteopathic profession
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated use of these skills
- Noteworthy accomplishments, awards and honors, special projects and extracurricular activities that demonstrate the nominees ability to be a leader
- Be an active member of the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- One (1) Letter of recommendation from the nominator
- A personal statement from the nominee
- Two (2) additional letters of recommendation
- Nominee’s current resume or Curriculum Vitae (should include all current memberships, osteopathic or other)
- An official medical school academic transcript (unofficial transcripts will not be accepted)
- A letter from the Dean or his/her designee as an official document: certifying that the nominee is in good academic standing amd confirming the student’s class ranking/GPA or that they are in the top quartile of their class
- Proof of current SOMA membership