Providing care to disadvantaged communities and populations is critical to the success of healthcare in the United States. The lack of physicians and access to healthcare in these communities severely compromises disease prevention activities and often results in poor health status.
This award honors extraordinary humanitarian efforts in overlooked communities within the United States. The award is intended to highlight and recognize clinics utilizing the aid of osteopathic physicians to serve disadvantaged communities and people in desperate need of care. This award salutes those osteopathic physicians whose extraordinary and enduring humanitarian efforts within the United States, demonstrate the highest standard of compassion and sensitivity while providing medical care to the communities they serve.
A qualified 501(c)(3) center; one that has an osteopathic physician directly and actively involved in the operation and evaluation of the program, that best exemplifies the humanitarian values of compassion, dedication and dignified care while addressing the healthcare needs of people in disadvantaged communities
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Serving and treating a significant number of disadvantaged people and/or people in desperate need of healthcare
- Treating patients for at least one-year
- Improving the quality of life and health for the patients being served
- Promoting osteopathic philosophy and principles when treating patients
- Using enhanced treatment modalities (exercise, diet, lifestyle, and pharmaceutical applications) to aid in managing disease
- Creating general public awareness at either the local, regional or national level
- Demonstrating efforts to eliminate practices that can cause disparate treatment of disadvantaged people