The AOF accepts Physician of the Year nominations to honor and recognize an osteopathic physician who achieves greatness through integrity, commitment to service and community involvement. He or she truly represents the best of what osteopathic medicine is all about.
The designation Physician of the Year is awarded to an individual whose extraordinary accomplishments and service bring a sense of pride to the profession, and whose actions promote the science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
The nominee shall be a practicing osteopathic physician who is making a difference in health care and whose dedication and leadership has improved the lives of countless people and meets the following criteria:
- Promotes the art and science of osteopathic medicine
- Makes an extraordinary impact on the lives of others, has unwavering dedication toward patients, and is consistently looked upon as a role model by his or her peers
- Uses extraordinary and innovative ways to improve public health through a specific act or service
- Has made innovative contributions either in medicine or to the community even when faced with adversity
- Embodies the values of the profession through leadership and service to the public and the profession
- Has made long-standing contributions to the field of clinical medicine